Tuesday, September 12, 2017

Start them early - Dorothea learns CPR/First Aid

So the Concord DC had CPR/First Aid training scheduled.  Charlotte Schools delayed start by 2 hours due to scattered power outages and downed trees in the area from remnants of Hurricane Irma.  I'm notified of this as I'm headed out the door - so, I figure today Dorothea might as well learn about some standard CPR/First Aid instead of the regularly scheduled program, and took her with me to the DC.

It worked out pretty well, and gave me a new perspective.  The instructor was very good, and kept us all entertained (which I hope to replicate in my training) with lots of stories of experience and real-world examples.  AND he held the attention of an 8 year old for 4 hours!  She seemed a little scared at some of the videos and pictures, but felt more comfortable in the fact that if she ever encounters an emergency, she knows what to do.  We had talked about calling 911 before, fire escape plan, and we got all prepared for the hurricane here recently.  But I think this helped her get a better idea of what an emergency looks like, and I hope she's better able to keep her head having sat through the training.

And we all learned that opossums (ugly as they are) cannot carry or transmit rabies. So of course, she wants one as a pet.

No comments:

Post a Comment