Thursday, January 10, 2019

2019 Resolution: Less Sugar/Starch, more H20, more Fish (Wellness)

That's my goal.  I'm not one to want to diet, as they all seem pretty complicated.  But I'm going to try to be mindful of sugar, water intake, and eating more fish in an effort to (one day) be pretty close to the Mediterranean model.  Vince did it once before (pre-kids), and was able to shed many pounds. 
I think we do OK with eating enough fruits/veggies already, so I don't feel like I need to focus there.  And if we're being honest here, no additional exercise is gonna make it into my routine unless I sleep less, and I'm cranky when I'm tired.  Eventually, we may need to limit dairy and cheese - but I love that too much, so I'm not going to focus there this year.  So I'm thinking these 3 things are realistically achievable with minimal additional effort.

My strategy for less sugar/starch = sub pasta for whole grain substitutes, white for brown rice and other fun grains.  Have you heard of this Quinoa stuff?  Last year we ate ALOT of white rice as my husband got this HUGE bag (on sale) that we had to use up.  But we're almost through it now.  We already stick to whole grain bread products, so no change needed there.  We also really try to watch added sugars - no soda, and juices are usually diluted with water.  Santa brought us a mess of peanuts this year instead of tons of candy (YAY). One toughie will be chips - man, we can eat some chips.  Gonna sub the multi-grain variety there, too, but we tend to consume mass quantities.  Popcorn is a good substitute for that, right?

Adding more water should be easy, as long as I remember to refill my cup.  It's now living in front of my monitor when I shut down every day.

I've never included enough fish in our diets.  Mom never cooked it growing up except frozen fish sticks (yuck), it stinks up the kitchen, and I'm kinda scared about what fish to cook for mercury and heavy metal concerns.  And, my husband is from FL, so he is very particular that the fish be fresh.  We got half a cow last year, so we prolly ate too much beef (we getting a quarter this time around), so "more" is a pretty low bar.  But, I found a "healthy" grocer that I trust (and they deliver with INSTACART), and I'm gonna shoot for fish once a week, but it will more likely be 2-3 times a month.

Wish me luck!  Any tips, suggestions, recipes are welcomed and encouraged!

TC

No comments:

Post a Comment