Friday, September 21, 2018

Electrical Panel tip from Tim Campbell

Speaking of Safety. Thought I would share a safety thought. (sharing from Tim Campbell)

When the storm finally made it’s way through the Carolinas it found it’s way into VA. My future retirement home is there and being on the side of the mountain facing the Piedmont it received strong winds and rain. I had some water leaks in the roof from the blowing rain. The area of concern was when the water started to run out of the electrical switches and on the wall where the water was coming in. Not really wanting to walk onto the wet floor with this happening I did a RADAR in my mind and decided to first go to the basement and turned off the power to the room affected at the main breaker.

The key learning for me was this. We have not had the house long and the electrical panel was not labeled at all so just a few weeks ago my Son-In-Law and I spent a few house tracing all the circuits and labeled them what they controlled. If we had not done that I would not have known what to turn off. So I would suggest that everyone take a look at you electric panel (Even at the Distribution Center) and see if things are labeled properly. It might come in handy at some point during an emergency.


This picture was taken the next morning after the rain had stopped. There was still some water running out the right corner of the light switches.

No comments:

Post a Comment