Thursday, May 8, 2014

Modified desktop

I got the Varidesk to be able to raise and lower my desk. The only issue I had with it was that when it sits on the desktop in the lowered position, the monitor stands had to be removed in order to keep the top aligned with eye level. When I raised the desk, they were too low which to some extent defeats the ergonomic purpose. Ideally, the top of the Varidesk should be the same height as the top of the stationary desk so the monitors can stay at a consistent height.

I went to Home Depot and got some 1/2" MDF and cut tops for the left and right sides and 3/4" MDF for the center. I mounted the center piece with some simple brackets that allow the top of the Varidesk to be flush with the top of the desk. The monitor tops are still lower than eye lever but not as bad as it was. Considering when the desk is up, I'm usually moving around anyway and I dont stay in that position very long.



I also got a wireless keyboard and mouse combo so when I raise the desk, I can move both from the sliding keyboard tray to the top level without having to mess with wires. At first I was concerned that the 3/4" MDF may not support the weight over time and that maybe I should have gone with 2 layers for center support. It seems to be doing fine so maybe this weekend I'll finish off the tops with some formica and trim.





I've begun setting up the alien machine behind me but alas, it's not ergo at all. I dont use it much and when I do, I'm usually going back and forth between it and my laptop station.


1 comment: